This has been driving me nuts. I’m currently running XP Home Edition and every time I start up my computer the icons on my desktop keep flickering. As if having the icons flashing on and off isn’t bad enough it also renders them useless as I can’t click on the to access the programs.
I searched the Internet high and low and after days of failure I finally came across something that worked. I’m posting it here because of the huge response I got from my iPod Touch post where I resolved an issue with Safari not working.
So, if you are having any of the following issues this solution may work for you.
- Why does commenting on WordPress Blogs cause the post to reload? That search was a bust so I tried.
- Why do characters appear automatically in Word? That also didn’t come up with anything useful, so back to the drawing board.
- How can I stop the icons from flashing on my desktop? Yep, that one gave me a lot of hits so I had to refine the search some by stating that I was using XP.
What was so time consuming was that I had to try all the solutions to see if it would work and unfortunately I was striking out left right and center. I did everything from downloading and running malaware programs to hurling abuse at the monitor, none of which worked, although swearing at the computer did let off a little steam.
I finally came across something that made no sense but I thought I would give it a try. Someone posted somewhere, I wish I made a copy of the link, that perhaps it all had to do with the PC’s display adapter. It turned out to be the correct fix, and if you’re having the same problem following these steps may fix it.
- Go to your control panel and click on system.
- Click on Hardware
- Click on Device Manager
- Click on the (+) next to Display adapters which will show you your current display adapter.
- Right click on that adapter and select Update driver…
- This will bring you to Hardware Update Wizard. Select the first option, Install the software automatically (Recommended) This may take awhile so be patient.
- Several drivers should come up and I selected the first one, which worked fine for me.
That’s it, everything has been fine since. So if your icons are flickering on your desktop or your getting pissed because your commenting keeps getting interrupted by your page refreshing, perhaps all you need do is update your display driver.
Edit: It happened again, and this time the above method did not work. Another fruitless search and then I started unplugging things to see if that made a difference. Guess what turned out to be the culprit? It was the damn keyboard. Everything stopped flashing once I unplugged the keyboard! I bought a new keyboard and everything is working as it should.
If this post helped you please leave a comment telling of experience. If you think you can supply a service that others would pay for then you should join MeidaPass.